The Sputnik 1



The October Monroe launch was the day after the 40th anniversary of the launch of Sputnik 1, the first man-made object to orbit the Earth.  In honor, SeaNAR had voted to build and fly Sputnik oddroc models at this launch.  Unfortunately, life intervened; as of a week before the launch, I was the only one without some progress.  On the day of the launch, I was the only one who brought a Sputnik.

The day before, I went to a craft store and Eagle hardware, and bought some dowels, a large foam ball, and a small foam ball.  I drilled a hole through the center of the large ball (6" diameter) -- a tricky operation that didn't work as well as I'd hoped; the drill took huge gouges out of the open-cell craft foam, but I eventually got a hole I could mount a BT-50 into.  I then installed the tube, with launch lug alongside it, put a thrust block into the tube, and modified the small foam ball to act as a nose cone -- I cut a shoulder into it to fit into the mouth of the tube, then glued in a string as a shock cord mount.  The shock cord in the motor mount tube was simply glued to the tube wall with medium CA -- like a simple LOC style mount for HPR.  Once the small foam ball had a shoulder, I mounted it into the mouth of the motor tube, and sanded it off flush with the surface of the big ball.  Finally, I installed four 1/4" dowels, three feet long, sharpened and pushed into the foam at 20 degrees from parallel with the motor mount, then pulled from their holes, glue squirted in, and reinserted.  I finished up and set the model aside to let the glue dry at about 2:00 AM, with my alarm set for 8:30 to get up and to the launch on time -- but finish it I did.  B)

The end result, at this stage, doesn't look much like a scale Sputnik, I'm afraid, unless your haven't seen a decent picture recently, but it has some of the same feel to it.  The main thing is, it flies well.  On a D12-3, it goes much higher than I had expected, actually coasting well enough to need the 3-second delay before ejecting the 12" parachute.  The rocket is so light that that size 'chute returns it to Earth slowly enough not to break the dowels, though I found on the first flight that craft foam doesn't stand up to ejection charges well at all -- I need to find a way to protect the foam around the mouth of the tube when the ejection fires, to keep from having a huge crater on the forward side of the sphere; then I'll use the can of spray gesso I bought with the foam ball to fill and seal the foam before spraying the entire oddroc silver.  Should look considerably better then...  B)



Back to Launch Logs page.



Back to my Home page.