The Cherokee-D(2)



This is my second reproduction Cherokee-D.  The first was lost on only its third flight, first time up with a D motor, due to a misestimated rod angle and wind drift that took it into the rocket-eating swamp at the Monroe launch site.

This time, knowing what I hadn't known the first time, I probably saved five grams or more on the airframe; intstead of corrugated centering rings, I used rings cut from very heavy card (but still lighter than the Estes 5055 rings); I used the minimum length of BT-50 for the motor mount tube, and I used lighter (and softer) wood for the fins.  The paint job came out just as good as the first one, but the decals are the real setoff for this model.

I got reproduction water transfer decals from Kurt Schachner, who saw on these pages the story of the loss of my first Cherokee-D and e-mailed me to let me know he had decals available.  I took him up on his offer and used those decals (printed with a color laser printer onto water-transfer decal stock purchased from a hobby shop) in decorating the Cherokee-D.  I did find that the toner on the decals ran the tiniest bit when I covered it with enamel clear-coat, but this is only visible in one spot on the large roll pattern decal, and definitely not noticeable in ordinary handling and launching of the model.  This model has flown at least as well as the other, but most of the flights in the first month since I finished it have been with an adapter, on B6-4 and C6-5 motors -- I don't want to lose another Cherokee-D any time soon.



Back to Launch Logs page.



Back to my Home page.