Luna 2-18 Express
14" plastic parasheet
2x Estes C6-5
||On this flight, ignition and boost were completely normal, but one
of the two motors ejected at burnout, effectively a zero delay. Amazingly,
the carpet thread recovery harness didn't zipper the airframe, but the
parachute failed by tearing across two shrouds, with the result that the
airframe took a small core sample. No other damage, however, other
than some blistered paint on the motor mount tube that had the early ejection;
I presume from the continued delay burn after the ejection fired.
MESS form filed.
18" nylon parasheet
4x Estes D12-5
||This was the first flight on my new, modified Viper 4. Modifications
include a removable motor mount, keyed to insure the same orientation when
remounted, and a captive "zipperless" piston for ejection. Despite
only three motors igniting, boost and coast were acceptable, but on ejection
the piston came to the end of its stroke and kept right on going, having
torn out the anchor that secured the restraining strap to the motor mount.
All parts were recovered, and the only damage other than the dismounted
piston anchor was a crack in one fin fillet -- which was cosmetic in the
first place. More gluing area is indicated for the piston anchor;
that will be in hand by next month.
No parachute -- oops!
||This was my first flight after repairing the BBBertha!, and I seem
to have forgotten to attach a new parachute -- and since this model uses
a recovery compartment and doesn't require wadding, I didn't remove the
nose and actually check. No harm done; ejection was just after apogee,
the rocket was well uprange due to weathercocking, and only a very minor
core sample resulted with no new damage.
12" plastic parasheet
||Conditions were marginal, but I decided to go ahead and try the Bertha
on a D12-5; given the wind, this was likely to be closer to the correct
delay than the D12-7 I usually prefer. The flight was nominal, deployment
very close to apogee, and the walk was reasonable.