Flight Log for 3 September, 2000, Monroe, WA

Partial cloud cover, wind 0-3 S changing to NNE 3-10 -- launch terminated by lightning in the area.
Model Flt 
Recovery Type Motor Comments
Astron Cobra
12" plastic parasheet
3x Estes C6-7
This first flight for the day was intended to take advantage of the calm conditions.  Unfortunately, I failed to inspect the motors for clay in the nozzles, and one motor failed to igniter; this resulted in an arcing, but safe flight well downrange.  Recovery was routine, walking my line directly to the rocket.
24" nylon parasheet
Aerotech G40-4W
A local rocketeer was moving from the area and dropping the hobby, and was giving away a goodly stash of parts and motors.  In addition to some BT-80, a nose from a Silver Comet, and some prismatic plastic, there was a bag with three G40 motors; I snaffled those immediately (but passed on other motors -- wanted to leave something for others).  This was one of those, and flew very very well.  The Thug boosted straight, ejected just at apogee, and recovered nearby.
24" nylon parasheet
Aerotech G40-4W
There were two of the G40-4 motors in the bag -- I decided to go ahead and fly the second one, as I likely won't get to launch at Monroe again until spring (too little chance of good weather in fall and winter to take time off work).  The flight was a duplicate of the first, except that it was more vertical and as a result ejected slightly before apogee.  Still, the walk wasn't excessive and there was no damage -- and the price was very, very right.
Spike (2)
18" nylon parasheet
North Coast/Estes F62-6 Dark Star
I debated whether to launch this flight -- the wind was starting to pick up, and it would be more altitude than I'd gotten with any previous flight for the day.  It was instantly obvious that the G40-7W that had been the 3rd motor in the bag I got for free was right out -- that motor would put the Spike to about 2000 feet, and recovery would be problematic with the recent problems in relations with the farmer who owns the field to the south of the launch site.  I finally settled on the F62 -- one of the last of the breed, given that Estes is producing almost none of them.  After a minor pad problem led to a recycle without burning the igniter, the motor lit and the rocket flew straight and high.  It looked for a moment as if I might have to brave Farmer McNasty, as we've started to call him (he's been reported to pick up rockets before the flier could reach them, and not give them back), but no, the Spike landed about fifty feet short of the drainage ditch that divides the two fields -- yet another nominal flight on this rocket, which is getting rather old by mid power standards.

Back to 26 Aug 2000

Forward to 23 Sep 2000

Back to Launch Logs page.

Back to my Home page.