Flight Log for 26 September, 1998, 60 Acres Park, Redmond, WA

Sunny and hot, wind 0-2 variable.
Model Flt 
#
Recovery Type Motor Comments
Betty-X
3
Dual 24" nylon parasheets
Estes C6-3
Never one to pass up such an opportunity as a contest reschedule, my testing program on the Betty-X continued.  The durations I was getting with the dual 18" parachutes had been obviously non-competitive, so I "borrowed" the parachutes out of my mostly-finished North Coast Bomarc kit and found a way to fold them so they'd fit in the limited recovery bay of the Betty-X.  With rebuilt motor mount in hand (1/8" balsa centering rings, reinforced with BT-55 spanning the gap between rings), I launched again in quest of decent durations.  This time, I'd forgotten eggs, so I flew with an empty capsule, demonstrating that the rocket was stable without the two-ounce weight of an egg in the nose.  Unfortunately, the parachutes (which had never been flown before), though deployed, failed to open, and the model tumbled into the grass, cracking the fillets and partially hinging two fins.  With the use of thick CA supplied by fellow modeler George Tobler, I made field repairs.
Betty-X
4
Dual 24" nylon parasheets
 Estes B6-2
On this flight, both parachutes opened, one a bit more slowly than the other, and the descent was nominal.  So far so good; the motor mount hadn't ejected and it was beginning to appear that the stiffer centering rings would do the trick in keeping the motor mount from pushing past the latch that held it against ejection forces.
Betty-X
5
Dual 24" nylon parasheets
Estes D12-5
This flight, the slow opening of one parachute allowed the other, already filled, to slow the rocket to the point where the unopened parachute dangled at the end of its lines rather than filling.  Despite this, the descent was gentle, total time was 58 seconds (comparable to what I'd gotten with the dual 18" plastic parasheets in earlier tests).
Betty-X
6
Dual 24" nylon parasheets
Estes D12-5
For this flight, I found a small rock to serve as a "dummy egg" for all-up test timing, but the motor mount ejected again (possibly in part because I'd pulled it out to show someone how it worked).  The rear centring ring was slightly chipped, probably from pushing past the mount latch.  As a result of the mount ejection, although the nose was blown off, the parachutes remained in the airframe and the rocket descended in core sample mode.  Fortunately, there was almost no damage; other than some scuffs, the only harm was a small cracked region in the egg capsule, where the rock attempted to exit on impact.  Landing in soft ground near a drainage ditch probably helped a great deal here.  Repairs were delayed until I could get home; more rethinking was needed on the motor mount.
Hawkeye
8
Tumble recovery
Estes 1/2A3-2T
This was a simple sport flight, unrelated to testing contest models, and flew (as usual) high, straight, and normal, with recovery close to the pad.


Back to 12 Sept 1998


Forward to 4 Oct 1998


Back to Launch Logs page.


Back to my Home page.