Flight Log for 25 March 2000, 60 Acres Park, Redmond, WA

Overcast appr.3500' AGL, light drizzle tapering off by noon, and near-calm wind.
Model Flt 
Recovery Type Motor Comments
Fat Fat Boy (2)
18" nylon parasheet
Estes D12-5
First flight after replacement of the shock cord (pulled off its mount on the last flight, 2 August 1999).  Also my first D motor flight in far too long -- over six months!  Everything was nominal, except that I had a D with a weak ejection; the wadding and parachute stayed in the tube until the drag of the tumbling nose cone pulled the parachute out.  No damage, other than to my nerves.
24" crepe streamer
Estes C6-7
I'd noted that the weather was perfect for sending the Flutter-B really, really high, so I stuck a C in it and let 'er rip.  As I expected, the rocket was completely invisible against the overcast before the smoke trail got thicker just before ejection, but I was then able to track it pretty readily on the streamer.  I estimate this flight went about 1200 feet, and took close to a minute to come down.
18" crepe streamer
Estes 1/2A3-4T
This old reliable flew as well as ever; high and straight on this small motor.  Ejection was right at turnover and recovery was completely nominal.  Ho hum.  B)
Fat Fat Boy (2)
18" nylon parasheet
Estes D12-7 core, 2x Quest C6-5 outboards
This cluster layout, with the motors in a row instead of packed as tightly as possible, is prone to loop from the thrust imbalance if one outboard ignites late.  Because of that, I called this a heads up flight, and everyone was standing ready to dodge if needed -- but there was no need; all three motors lit instantly and the boost was hot, straight, and normal.  Ejection was just after apogee, and though I expected the motors in the plugged outboard mounts to eject, in fact they stayed in -- which didn't do the bulkhead foward of the motor mounts any good.  There was also some additional burn damage to the unused mounts and to one fin tab.  I don't think this was due to blast reflecting up from the deflector, since I had propped the rocket about six inches up from an angled deflector; instead, I think the swirl of base turbulence drew flame into this area just at burnout, allowing the damage to take place during coast.  Clearly, in future cluster mounts I need to make provision to protect the mount tubes from this effect.
12" plastic parasheet w/ spill and vents
Estes B4-6
With a fresh shock cord, the Alpha was ready to fly again, and I couldn't immediately spot my A8-5 motors, so I put a B4-6 (one of my last of these discontinued motors) in the Alpha, knowing it would go high and fast, but pretty confident that the calm weather would allow recovery on the field.  Yep, all worked as expected, and the Alpha reached what I once thought of as my jinx level for flights -- the first year I was back in the hobby, I couldn't seem to keep a rocket past 20 flights.

Back to 26 Feb 2000

Forward to 2 Apr 2000

Back to Launch Logs page.

Back to my Home page.