Flight Log for 25 April, 1998, 60 Acres Park, Redmond, WA

Broken clouds appr. 3500' AGL, wind 5-10 S.
Model Flt 
#
Recovery Type Motor Comments
Alpha
1
12" plastic parasheet w/ spill and vents Estes A8-5 Boost, coast and deployment were perfect, exactly what I'd expect from a design over 30 years old.  As expected, the -5 delay is much more suitable for this low-drag model than the -3, but with this motor no longer manufactured, I've only got about two years to burn the rest of the 50 or so I have in inventory.  Unfortunately, the model landed on the road at the downwind edge of the launching site, and sustained some chips in the paint.
Alpha
2
12" plastic parasheet w/ spill and vents Estes 1/2A6-2 Even with this wimpy motor, the Alpha gets high enough to be very satisfying, and all was well with the flight.
Spyglass 1
1
Rocket Glider Estes 1/2A3-2T Spyglass 1 is a true rocket glider, in which everything that boosts remains attached as the glider returns to earth.  This kind of model is more challenging to build and trim than a boost glider, where one can put nose weight in the pod to reduce arcing during boost; typically, a rocket glider must change configuration in some fashion after the coast phase of flight, in order to change from rocket stability (like an arrow) to glider stability.  In the case of Spyglass 1, the configuration change is entirely powered by the ejection charge of the motor -- see the description of the model for more information.  This first flight had a roll on boost that minimized arcing, and transitioned well into the glide, but had much too tight a turn in glide and didn't give much glide time.
Spyglass 1
2
Rocket Glider Estes 1/2A3-2T After minor adjustments, the second flight had less roll in boost, less turn in glide, and a slight tendency to stall, including the Dutch Roll often seen in a swept wing design when flying close to stall.  Time was 24 seconds.
Spyglass 1
3
Rocket Glider Estes 1/2A3-2T This flight, the deployment into glide configuration failed, and the rocket arced into the ground as a lawn dart.  Due to light weight and robust construction, there was no damage beyond a small amount of crimping in the airframe at the point of the ejection vents.  Examination showed that the deployment mechanism was fouled with ejection residue; I removed the nose cone, worked the mechanism several times, and then applied baby powder as a lubricant to all sliding contact points.  After doing this, the mechanism slid much more readily.
Spyglass 1
4
Rocket Glider Estes 1/2A3-2T This flight narrowly missed the line of poplars at the west end of the flying field; because I was using my car battery for ignition, I had to launch close to these trees due to the limited wire run available with my controller setup.  After transition to glide, there was considerable stalling, and the rocket landed on the road at the bottom of one of the stall dips, fortunately without any visible damage.  I decided it was time to make a more permanent adjustable surface set for the glider before further testing, and put it away until I could spent some shop time on it.
Bertha 24
33
12" plastic parasheet w/ spill and vents Estes B6-4 This was the usual perfect flight on my Energizer Bunny of a rocket.
Bertha 24
34
12" plastic parasheet w/ spill and vents Estes C6-5 One more nominal flight, though there was more walking in this case due to a reduction in wind speed without corresponding change in rod angle.  By this time, it was getting late, and I was getting a little sunburned, so it was time to pack up and head for home.


Back to 11 April 1998


Forward to 3 May 1998


Back to Launch Logs page.


Back to my Home page.