Flight Log for 22 May, 1999, 60 Acres Park, Redmond, WA

Clear and sunny, wind light and variable, changing to N at 5 by 11:00.
Model Flt 
#
Recovery Type Motor Comments
Ninja-B
8
18" crepe paper streamer
Estes A3-4T My first flight of the day, and with other people commenting about B and C motors, I had to show just how much altitude one could reasonably get with a lowly A motor.  So up goes the Ninja-B, and with the boattail, as usual, I was wishing for a longer delay.  Deployment was well before apogee, but otherwise nominal, and I easily tracked the rocket and (after threading through the blackberry brambles) recovered with no damage.
Alpha
13
12" plastic parasheet w/ spill and vents
Estes 1/2A6-2
I didn't want to send the Alpha too high, so I loaded it up with the last 1/2A6-2 in my box.  Short burn, short coast (though it could have used another second's delay anyway), and reasonably close recovery.  Not much to say about this small a motor in a "normal" rocket.
Alpha
14
12" plastic parasheet w/ spill and vents
Estes A8-5
I still have a huge number of A8-5s to burn -- I really need to get the cluster mount finished for the Betty-X and start burning those motors lofting eggs.  Meantime, this was the sort of boring, nominal flight you expect from a rocket design virtually unchanged after more than 35 years of production.  Of course, an Alpha always wants long delays...
Alpha
15
12" plastic parasheet w/ spill and vents
Estes A8-5
One good flight deserves another -- and the Alpha actually makes A motors fun and interesting, so up with another, and the same sort of nominal, boringly perfect flight resulted as always.

I spent most of the rest of the day helping another flier who was having great troubles with Copperheads get a couple good flights -- and collected a really nifty sunburn in the process.  Guess I need to start remembering the sunscreen again.



Back to 8 May 1999


Forward to 6 Jun 1999


Back to Launch Logs page.


Back to my Home page.