Flight Log for 22 July 2000, 60 Acres Park, Redmond, WA

Overcast appr. 3000' AGL, wind 5-15 SSW
Model Flt 
#
Recovery Type Motor Comments
BBBertha!
12
12" plastic parasheet
Quest C6-5
I started the day flying a kite, on the theory that every time I've gone out to intentionally fly kites, there wasn't enough wind to keep a kite in the air.  The desired effect almost worked -- we did get enough reduction in the wind to fly a bit, before it started to rain and we packed up.  This was the usualy completely nominal flight for a Bertha clone, with a little extra descent due to the angle upwind; it wasn't quite enough extra to warrant switching to a C6-3, but it was enough to remind me that windy days generally require shorter delays.
BBBertha!
13
12" plastic parasheet
Quest C6-0/Quest C6-7
What are you hungry for when you want a D and don't have any (not even D12-5 -- went to the hobby shop to get some on Friday and they were sold out of all D motors except D11-P)?  A 2 stage flight, of course.  I rigged the booster motor with a streamer, so as not to leave it on the field, taped the two motors together, and put them into the mount, put the model on the pad, and away it went.  Ignition and staging were normal, but a change in rod angle intended to keep the recovery out of the area where R/C glider fliers were having a precision duration contest that included spot landing resulted in a long crossrange flight; in addition, the upper stage motor turned out to be marginal on ejection (I wondered about it, as it had only a partial clay cap).  The nose cone blew off, but I didn't get even a tangled or wadded parachute; the rocket did lose stability, but didn't really tumble, just coned a lot, and then landed on the golf course across Willows Creek.

When I reached the nearest I could get without crossing the posted fence into the golf course, there was a twosome on the opposite side of the blackberry brambles, and one of them had seen the rocket, and was happy to hand it over the fence to me.  On recovery, I found the shock cord was toasted in one spot (probably due to not being fully in the recovery compartment), and the parachute had several of the little stuck spots that come from being cooked, but not quite burned.  The only repair needed, however, will be replacement of the shock cord; the airframe shows some slight wrinkling aft of the recovery compartment, but nothing that will affect flight or that's worth cutting it up to repair.

As I was returning from recovering this flight, I started to feel raindrops, and after debating for a bit, we packed up our GSE and called it a day.  Good call, as it started to rain hard just after I finished unloading the van, and we had some lightning as well; the only thing that really scares me in model rocketry is being on a field during a lightning storm, holding a controller wired to a lightning rod that's the tallest thing for a couple hundred yards.



Back to 8 Jul 2000


Forward to 6 Aug 2000


Back to Launch Logs page.


Back to my Home page.